January 5, 2013

A New Year Hobbit


 The foreign movie theater in town, La Filmoteca gets an English movie once a month and tickets are only 3 euro. On Tuesday we showed up to see The Hobbit, but something was wrong with the Spanish subtitles so we were told to come back the next day. We came back on Wednesday and got to see the movie for free! During the hobbit I fell in love with Bilbo's patchwork robe and hobbit way of life. For 2013, it is my wish to live like a hobbit, a Martin Freeman hobbit.

 I was reading Chapter 1 of the Hobbit and noticed this, "The next day he had almost forgotten about Gandalf. He did not remember things very well unless he put them down on his Engagement Tablet: like this Gandalf Tea Wednesday." A hobbit really enjoys being home and comfort (which I think we all really enjoy) and cakes and tea and having people over. In the New Year I want to drink tea and write everything down and make friends and be cozy. I think it's better to post my resolution here than do what happened to me last year.



In January I wrote my goals down for the new year on receipt paper at the hotel where I worked. I was sitting around at 5 am doing room service and it was completely dead. I really disliked that job and was very sad at the time. Some of the goals I wrote down on the receipt paper: quit horrible job, move to the sea, write a novel, move back to Europe or at least go on a trip there, and I think I wrote something about yoga and drew a heart.

I put the note in the pocket of my baggy work vest and rolled some silverware, talked to other coworkers in the kitchen and restaurant, and went into my manager's office to chat. When I was in his office he showed me some receipt paper he had found on the ground. It was the list of my New Year's dreams. I was so embarrassed, but he laughed and showed me pictures of an old house in Maine he used to live in and told me how much he wanted to move back and was always looking for a different job. He made me feel better and I quit my job a few weeks later and went on a really cool trip to Europe, started writing more, made mistakes, felt a lot of love, and now I live by the sea. I used Neil Gaiman's New Year's wish last year on my old blog. This year he posted another great New Year's wish that I think goes well with my 2013 wish and describes Bilbo Baggins,

"It's a New Year and with it comes fresh opportunity to shape our world. So this is my wish, a wish for me as much as it is a wish for you: in the world to come, let us be brave - let us walk into the dark without fear, and step into the unknown with smiles on our faces, even if we're faking them. And whatever happens to us, whatever we make, whatever we learn, let us take joy in it. We can find joy in the world if it's joy we're looking for, we can take joy in the act of creation. So that is my wish for you, and for me. Bravery and joy."


1 comment:

  1. I really really love this. I think this too shall be my resolution. Maybe I should get my own, but I sure like this.

    ReplyDelete

“You look ridiculous if you dance You look ridiculous if you don't dance So you might as well dance.” ― Gertrude Stein

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...